51 people have been killed in a suicide attack at a wedding party in Turkey’s southeastern province of Gaziantep, near the Syrian border. It is said that the suicide bomber was a teenager between the ages of 12 and 14. Turkish President Recep Tayyp Erdogan stated this fact in a nationally televised address in front of Istanbul City Hall on August, 21.
Turkish authorities are further investigating the attack after a suicide vest was discovered at the scene. It’s unclear whether the attacker blew himself up or someone else remotely detonated the bomb. The explosion occurred at an outdoor wedding area located in the Kurdish area around 10:50 pm on August 20. So far, 51 people have died and 69 are listed as wounded.
Erdogan claimed that the attack may have been committed by ISIL, Sunni Islamic militant group. The Turkish local press announced that 17 of the wounded were in serious condition. The target of the terror was numerous citizens who attended a Kurdish wedding ceremony. Some mention that it implies a strategy to maximize ethnic conflict.
Erdogan called ISIL ‘Daesh’ and said, “As it’s known, Daesh preoccupied Gaziantep and has been trying to manage the group”. The explosion occurred about 95 km north of Aleppo, Syria.
CNN reported at least 43 victims have been buried according to Islamic tradition as of August 21. Turkish news agency cited that a survivor at the scene of the explosion, said “I couldn’t see anything except parts of bodies at the scene”. He added that after the explosion, every direction you looked there were body parts strewn all over the place.
Although the Turkish government pointed out ISIL as the group behind the terror, no terror group has come forward and taken credit for the attack yet.